IntelliJ IDEA 10 [u]
Posted by Matt Rajkowski on January 18, 2011 10:15 AM EST
- Having a current IDE for technologies and frameworks that I work with
- Improvements with source code repositories
- "100% faster code indexing, and an overall performance increase"
- "New code completion behavior with automatic invocation while typing"
UPDATE: Read on for info on my upgrade experience...
Just last week I upgraded from version 8 to version 10. IntelliJ updates are pretty frequent, like yearly, but somehow I had gotten behind. At the first of the year I received a nice email from JetBrains reminding me that there was a new update and that I could upgrade for the same price as if I was upgrading from version 9 – so I did it.
I have been using the Community Edition of JetBrains so I was at least familiar with the new look.
Things I've noticed during my daily use:
- Better Mac OSX integration - tabs function better and the Open File chooser is Mac OSX-like
- Highlighting text in the editor, then choosing "Go to Class or File" uses the selected text (no more copy/paste)
- Word completion is much quicker... as in, as you type quick. I like it.
- Projects seem to load quicker... better background indexing and such.
- My upgraded version 8 projects worked, but with one problem... I had to go dig into the version 8 preference files to retrieve the patches I had shelved and which did not carry forward into 10. I'm glad I looked there before completely removing my version 8 install. The settings for running tests and executing Tomcat all carried forward just fine.
- Tomcat has a new Skull icon to kill the process when Tomcat doesn't shut down properly. A nice touch so I don't have to hit the terminal when Tomcat fails to shutdown.
- SVN performance is the main reason I have upgraded. One of the Subversion servers I use keeps reporting a timeout under version 8, and that issue has mostly gone away in version 10. I say mostly because the Show History window will refresh while the list is being retrieved, so most of the last X changes show before the timeout occurs. SmartSVN doesn't have this issue so I'm not sure, but I suspect it's mainly the subversion server in question. Anyhow, I'm glad it has been improved.
- One interesting feature is a spell checker while you code. I like it, but it does seem to slow down the editor. I'll try configuring the inspections and see if I can disable any.
That touches on the main upgrade and editor usage. I need to review the upgrade notes and see what types of refactorings and plug-ins I should know more about.
Still, IntelliJ is my favorite editor.